Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dark Days: A Foray into Fleshy Foods (and an array of side dishes)

This week, I cooked meat. I hadn't eaten meat in over a month. I am an almost-vegetarian, averaging probably a pound of meat per month. But, in order to be a part of my house's local-organic-meat CSA, I had to place a monthly order of five pounds. So, January's order has arrived and I had to figure out what to do with it all!

I thawed a pound of ground beef and took a stab at The Joy of Cooking's "Ground Beef in Cabbage Leaves." As usual, I made quite a few modifications to the recipe, but I wasn't too far off. At first, this recipe seemed like more trouble than it was worth, but once I got the hang of it, and tasted the results, I was at peace with my efforts.

I'll start with a picture of the gourmet (okay, slightly burned on top) final result, and work backwards from there:



Cabbage rolls, as far as I can tell, are kind of like sweet-and-sour meatballs in a leaf. I would do a few things differently next time, but it was exciting to see that I could make a relatively complex dish, with multiple side dishes, out of entirely local foods.

The parboiling of the leaves was less tedious but more time-consuming than I imagined, and I didn't have tongs so I had to use some canning equipment to fish the leaves out. I was afraid of over-doing it, so I under-did it and ended up with crunchy stems. Next time I would boil each leaf until even the stem felt slightly soft.


The beef was exceptionally tender and, until I added the vinegar, a bright red. I didn't have all the ingredients, so I went with a whole chopped onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, crushed garlic clove, apple cider vinegar, and a tablespoon of honey for the filling.

I used an Ulu to chop the onion. TheUlu took me some time to get used to, but now I consider it an indispensible tool for chopping anything into small pieces without excessive labor or loss of fingertips.

Lacking any sort of string or toothpick as required by the recipe, I simply folded the rolls up tight and put the flappy-side down, and that held them together just fine. I had some kefir left, so I poured that on top and sprinkled paprika all over.

 I baked them 50 minutes on 375 as recommended, but next time I would likely cover them for the second half of the bake time to protect from burning. The end result was was rich and brothy. I might like to add another vegetable to the filling...maybe mashed sweet potatoes? Or something spicy? In any case, I have a jar of them in the freezer to test how useful they may be as a sort of "local fast-food" in the future.

(A note on the kefir: I never strained out the grains and it continued fermenting into a strong, sour, effervescent sludge. I took it out of the fridge to come to room temperature while I was cooking and the pressure from the gasses built up enough to blow the lid off. The cat was on it like bluebonnet.)
 
And nowww..side dishes!

Tiny baker potatoes came in abundance with this week's veggie CSA, but they were already sprouting at the eyes so I decided they needed to be used. I also had parsnips in the refrigerator from about three weeks ago and a few of them were starting to get a little flimsy at the ends. Thus, potato-parsnip mash. And a roasted medly.

First, the medly: a simple toss in olive oil, salt and pepper, and twenty minutes in the toaster oven did the trick.


The mash was slightly more complex. I sauteed a mashed clove of garlic in a cast iron dutch oven in Earth Balance vegan margarine, and then I filled the pot about 2/3 full with fresh milk. While that was warming, I chopped parsnhips and potatoes--about 1/2 and 1/2 equally--into bite-sized pieces. Then I added them to the milk, brought it all to a boil, turned the heat to medium, and simmered until everything was "mashable". I mashed them with a large serving fork (I would LOVE to have a potato masher...it's one of those eternally useful things without which I frequently find myself) and turned the heat down to low. Replaced the lid and let simmer until I got hungry.

My other side dish was cabbage soup. Earlier in the day I had pulled my full broth-bag out of the freezer, covered it in filtered water, and simmered it down until those veggies looked good-and-dead.

After straining, I put the broth back in the pot and chopped two-and-a-half small green cabbages. A-la-Joy of Cooking, I kept it simple and just included salt and pepper. That's it. It was painfully bland at first, but but after a day of seasoning it improved. Plus, I discovered that adding a (local) hard boiled egg to the top makes a world of difference.

Finally, I had some leftover meat filling so I grilled up three small hamburgers and steamed some purple kale from this week's CSA. How many meals came out of thise one, entirely local and organic, cooking spree???? Totally amazing. My, belly, fridge and freezer are full.



A couple of other updates:

I got another accidental extra half-gallon of milk and made kefir again, this time keeping more closely to the directions, and straining out the grains in the end, and it is lighter, creamier, and sweeter.

I have also started "feeding" the sourdough starter, which means adding a tablespoon or two of flour each day and stirring vigorously. It is thick, sour smelling, and will be ready to make bread within the week! I moved it to the mantle above the wood stove in the livingroom to encourage a warmer, bacteria-friendly environment.

Bon apetit!

4 comments:

  1. HAHA on it like bluebonnet! i may need to steal that. also, i support your potato masher quest. oxo also makes a plastic one (i think that's the one i have) and it is like $3 or $4. totally worth it - because although i have only used it a handful of times - possibly to make the below - i know it's there for me when i need it. which may be tomorrow, when i make the second below, to use up my own crop of sprouting potatolets!

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001566.html

    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000150.html

    thank god for heidi swanson/food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Adwoa,

    Haha, this guy I used to work with in an ice cream shop used to say "on it like bluebonnet" all the time.

    I have such mixed feelings about plastic cookware...I try to steer clear of it, and yet, sometimes it's so lovely to have a $3 potato masher.

    Thanks for the great recipe links! That mashed potato kale recipe is perfect for local/seasonal foods, and I love pretty much anything that has the term "spoon bread" in the title. I think it's synonymous with "comfort."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm...it's interesting that you feed your starter daily. Did you make it from scratch? I only feed mine once a week (which reminds me...I'm actually a bit behind. Poor Josh). I ordered 2 gallons of raw milk for next week (only did a gallon last time and Leo barely let me have any) and now I'm wondering: (a) how do you feel about freezing raw milk? are you a slow or fast thawer? The internet seems divided about whether it affects taste/nutrition and whether the change to the taste (if admitted to) is good or bad. (b) what are you "must have" raw milk recipes? I'm interested in ricotta but I have yet to quite figure out what is real buttermilk and how to make it/find it, or whether it's important for it to be real. I guess I kind of feel like I SHOULD do something awesome with my milk, but maybe I should just not worry about it and enjoy drinking it instead. Which goes back to the freezing question....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Caitlin!

    For the sourdough starter, I did make it from scratch and if it is at room temperature, I feed it daily. If it is in the refrigerator, I feed it once a week. I think you can also freeze them for a bit and revive them later. It never occurred to me to name it...I will with the next one.

    For the milk, you have so many awesome and interesting questions that I'm going to devote an entire post to answering them, so stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! Your comment is awaiting moderation.