Saturday, December 5, 2009

Making Vinegar


I have been around the making of local, organic vinegar before, and I have tasted it and felt its deep medicine working its way through my being, but I have never made it on my own, start to finish. So I decided to give it a try.

I was at the store for a quick errand the other day and saw that they had the same brand of organic cider as the vinegar I mentioned in my earlier post, so I bought a gallon (not looking at the price, which made me gasp when I got home) and carried it lovingly the two mile walk back to my house. I drank a couple of delicious glasses and then just left the cap off, simple as that.

After a couple of days of watching it, I noticed bubbles forming on the top and I decided to double check my methods. I really like this particular resource: Earth Clinic--How to Make Cider Vinegar
I am not adding any yeasts and I don't have cheese cloth. I am simply leaving it open in its original plastic gallon jug and giving it a good, swishing stir once per day. Hopefully it doesn't make my bedroom smell like vinegar (there are cats in the rest of the house so I don't want to leave it open in the kitchen). I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. So, this morning I went to give the vinegar its good-morning swish. I smelled it first and it had a nice, vinegary tinge. There was also a little fruit fly hovering around it. Where do they come from???

    I put the lid on as I have for all previous swishes and I gave it a good whirl. And it exploded all over my (luckily hardwood) bedroom floor. Note to self--fermentation equals gas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your input! Your comment is awaiting moderation.